This cake is not good for you, but, in the words of Ferris Bueller, or my brother, or both: “It is so choice.”
So here we go, as promised:
Pastel de Tres Leches/Three Milk Cake
Recipe by Kris Rudolph
Yield 1 cake – 12-15 slices
2 Cups flour
1 Tablespoons baking powder
1 Teaspoon salt
1 Cup sugar
3/4 Cups milk
2 Tablespoons vanilla
13 ounces sweetened condensed milk
14 ounces evaporated milk
1 Cup cream
2 Cups whipped cream
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Grease two 9-inch cake pans.
3. Place the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl and blend.
4. Separate the 7 eggs. Whip the egg whites until soft peaks form, then slowly adding in the flour mixture.
5. Add the sugar, milk, vanilla and egg yolks to the egg whites. Beat one minute.
6. Pour the batter into the cake pans and bake for 25-30 minutes or until done.
7. While the cake is in the oven, whip the evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk & cream in a blender,
8. Once you remove the cake from the oven, place the two layers onto separate large trays with a rim. Start pouring the three milks onto the hot cake, using a toothpick to prick the cake and help the milk soak in. (This step must be done while the cake is hot.) All the milk should be absorbed. Don’t stop until it is.
9. Spread fresh whipped cream on one layer. Carefully stack the second layer on top, then decorate the cake with more fresh whipped cream. (You can omit or reduce the sugar from the whipped cream because the cake is so sweet.)
Variation: Chocolate Tres Leches Cake
Add 1/4 Cup milk and 1/4 Cup cocoa to the batter. Also add 1/4 cup cocoa to your whipped cream.
I don’t know who “Kris” is, but he/she deserves a delicious medal of honor for posting it in some random corner of the world wide web so that I could find it.
I think it’s time to try the chocolate version.
One last pic: